TRX Ab Workout – Or just an ab workout 😉
Are you ready to work your abs, really engage your Transverse Abdominus (just a heads up, I’m pretty obsessed with this muscle, ESPECIALLY for postpartum mamas!), and even get a burn in your upper body? Then check out this quick trx ab workout circuit that is done entirely on TRX straps. (Full length demo at bottom of post!)
No straps? No problem!
You can do this two other ways:
- Use a stability ball. This will make it harder and for the mountain climbers, just drop your feet off the ball and do them with your feet on the floor.
- Use a set of sliding discs (I use these sliding discs, which work on carpet or hard flooring) and do these on the floor. This is an easier modification.
- Use paper plates or socks instead of sliding discs!
How to work this TRX ab workout into your routine:
When I had more time to exercise (you know, before I had kids!) I would insert this into a larger circuit and repeat 3-4 times. Now, this might be all I do (still repeating 3 or 4 times) and then I just add in a couple of other exercises if I have time, like push ups and pull ups. If you are struggling to get your workouts done, then just do this and repeat as many times as you can. You’ll get a burn in your upper body from the isometric hold.
Remember the following:
- Keep your head in good cervical alignment. Don’t crank your head up or let it drop down! Keep it in a nice straight line with your spine.
- Don’t let your torso sag or hike your butt up in the air. Again, think of one straight line from hips to the top of your head.
- Stay strong in your shoulders. Said another way: don’t let your body sag down into your shoulder joint. Think of pulling your upper back away from your arms to help with this.
- Engage your TA (transverse abdominus). It’s easy to go through the motions and not get the most out of the exercises. Remember: the TA is the ab muscle that runs horizontally under your rectus abdominus and acts like a corset. To engage it, think of pulling in slightly while drawing your rib cage down so that it doesn’t flare out. Also think of pulling up through your pelvic floor. Really think about engaging this muscle during the exercises.
- 10 pikes
- 15 double knee pull-ins
- 40 mountain climbers (20 each side)
- Bonus- oblique twists (5 each side if possible- I didn’t demo all of these)
View the entire thing now!
A Final word: there’s a one-minute preview on Instagram and Facebook. Are you following me there? 😉 Links in sidebar.